meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Wednesday, July 04, 2018

Notes To Self.

1. Don't try to work when you're overtired; it's going to end in tears.

2. You can never have enough clear workspace when you're printing.

3. Sometimes good things come out of bad stuff.


So... printing....  Seemed like a good idea.  Was narked about an online conversation I'd been having (should know better, really), and thought, I'll go play a bit.  I ignored the fact that I'd already brushed and washed the kitchen floor, which had taken most of my energy.  Yes, I'm an idiot.  Yes, I should have asked Robin to do it.  Yes, it looks better.  Just every so often I like to prove I can still do this stuff.

Had already looked out the stuff I wanted to use, so... and that was my first mistake.  Really, there wasn't enough room on that table top... but being me, I Just Got On With It. 

Mixed up the ink, new to me, printing ink for fabric... got sort of the colour I wanted, eventually, but mixed far too much... sigh. 


The palette knife came from a pound shop; the glass I'm working on is an old fridge shelf....it's an ideal size for the kind and scale of  work I do.  Did a test print on paper... which gave me a clear indication that this particular block is fine for printing.  I grabbed the first bit of paper I could find, some watercolour paper.  It was bone dry, so the print quality isn't great, but since I don't suppose I'll use it for anything, so who cares.


Reader, I rather liked it.  So I decided to use it to print on one of the hand made books I've made recently, which I'd been mulling over.  The block is slightly narrower and somewhat longer than each page, but hey, I thought, it'll be fine.  And it would have been, had I followed points one and two, above.  First page printed, no problem.  In order to print the second, I had to move some stuff...and realised that I'd dipped the first page into the ink, inadvertently.  What an idiot.  Fortunately, it didn't look too bad, and I simply extended it along the rest of the pages...but it could have been a perfectly decent book, written off.  I really am an idiot. 


So... printed, it looks like this.  Because Lutradur XL, like all the lighter weights, is semi transparent, you can actually see elements of the other side. 


Stand it up against the light, and it's even more obvious


I'm really pleased with this.  Not bad for a handful of scraps and a printing block...

I did a bit more printing, which I'll show you tomorrow, swathed the remaining ink with cling film and hoped for the best.  Should be okay til tomorrow.  What did strike me is that I need to start using my press if I want even printing results.  I like the way this has turned out, but it won't be appropriate for every project, and I'm not getting enough pressure, sitting down.  You live and learn.  And now I need a sleep.


2 comments:

Digitalgran said...

I love the book, but so agree with you on No1. I've been carrying on regardless here only to make a mess of things!

artmixter said...

Plus, when you're really tired, everything looks and feels worse than it actually is...sigh.