meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2018

Next Steps

So... the paint dried...and now what?  Well, whilst I do have to wait for the machine for the next bit, I did think it would be useful to see what an unstitched book would look like.  The answer turned out to be...too fat... so I've ended up with two. Top image is the front.



\I discovered something else, too.  The paper is not exactly the same size, so it needs to be trimmed to make it so.  If you look carefully, there are bits of the inner pages peeping out from the covers on each book.  Sigh.  Making books is a matter of precision, which is, of course, just what I'm not good at.  For once, though, this isn't my fault; I didn't cut the paper.  And it's infinitely redeemable.

I selected two of the stronger images for the cover, split the paper in accordance with colour, the yellow pages together (no, we're not talking telephones here...).  and then had to pick the centre pages, the only ones that read as a complete image.  And here they are.



I think this has real potential, and I'm glad I did it.  It's not the first book I've made in this way, ie using abstract paintings; sadly, I don't seem to have any examples to show you.  They were altered books, a completely different kettle of fish, and focused mainly on the texture of the paint.  People never touch paintings, yet my work is highly textural; I wanted to give them the chance to feel my work, as well as to look at it.  Touching paintings is verboten; touching books, though, is encouraged.  But I digress, as usual...

Now, I get to trim the paper, and put them to one side until I have the machine back.  Generally speaking, though, I think this has worked pretty well, for an experiment.

No comments: