meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Getting Lost...

or at least, mildly confused, has its compensations.  For me, at least, it was the view.


We had pulled off into a cul de sac to get our bearings.  Views like this one are very common in Central Scotland, swathes of flat land leading to gentle hills.  Mountains are around, certainly, there's Arthur's Seat, for example (well, okay, that's an extinct volcano), but mostly, there are soft, rolling hills everywhere you look.  And cottages, nestling into the slopes.

I was intrigued by the house at the top of the cul de sac, too.



I've found myself taking a fair amount of photographs of buildings, recently... the house at Callendar Park, the stonework of a commercial property, and eyeing up several more.  Perhaps it's because we've had so many problems with our own, brand new house.  Or maybe it's just harking back to when I originally learned to paint; one of my favourite paintings from that time, was of an old cottage in a field, not far from here, come to think of it.  I feel a hankering to make paintings like that again.  It's funny, the things our unconscious suggests to us.  I can't imagine making textile work that's representational; many people do so, but it's just not my style.  It's not my usual painting style either, come to think about it...but it's not completely foreign to me, so perhaps...

No comments: