meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Saturday, April 15, 2006

More, Or Less?


I had this intention, to make postcards. Well, I owe one or two, and I thought it would be a good way to ease myself back into work. So, I cut up a piece of dyepainted cloth, which I liked, but, other than using it with some lutradur, didn't have any specific ideas for. And look what happened... I seem to have a series of little dyepaintings, clearly related, Eight Blue Dots, One Blue Circle. Now that I've finished them, the whole seems to be more than the sum of the parts. I like synergy, when it happens. It is almost never intended, but is a gift when it arrives.

But it does give me a dilemma. What to do with them now? Split them up, and imagine that dynamic spread over the world from the US to New Zealand with sundry other places in between? Or keep them here, framed and interacting, or perhaps in a box, so that I (or someone) can take them out, rearrange them and enjoy the new meanings? Decisions, decisions, decisions.... Meanwhile, I've taken out some more dyepainted cloth, ready to slice it up and try this particular exercise again, on a slightly larger scale.

7 comments:

Alison Schwabe said...

I like the box idea.. or you could finish each individually and prepare a backing piece/ frame to which each piece could be attached, removed and therefore
re-soted by the viewer.. I'm thinking Velcro here... let us know what you do?

Anonymous said...

Marion,
I was thinking of a backing piece, also. Maybe a large foam core, padded and covered. If you used sand washed, sueded rayon challis I wonder if the hook part of the velcro would stick without damage?

I would like to see a lot of "air" around each piece.

I particularly like the idea of being to arrange and re-arrange them. Let me know how big they are, please? thelma

Anonymous said...

I am thinking you do like we did for the MicroCosmos....sew buttons (in this case one center top, one center bottom) and use the buttons to attach them to a backing. That way you can rearrange them as you desire without damage to the backing......

teri

Sounds like, thus far, we are all voting you keep them together....

Unknown said...

I like to think of them staying together, not sure how, but love the idea of being able to
change them around

Jen said...

Hi Marion, Keep them together please. Once they're gone, they're gone. The whole is so integrated and connected as it is - it deserves the honour of being treated for what it really is. A resolved piece of Fine Art.
Jen

Felicity Grace said...

I'm in the keep em together camp! They look great together. I'll be interested to see how if that's what you decide.

Sarah Ann Smith said...

I like the idea of linking them, perhaps literally with rings at the corners, perhaps sewn to strips like a large lattice behind.....