meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Tuesday, October 09, 2018

Meanwhile...

...another of the pieces I kept out of the cull.  This is a piece of evolon, and it has been transfer dyed; that, I know for sure...the rest is speculation.  I think this is a monoprint.  I'm persisting because I love the textures in some of the areas, mostly the left hand section.




I was finding it difficult to decide which way is up, hence the two images.  The jury is still out, but I'm going to work with the top image, and see where we go. 
 
I've argued with myself, long and hard, about whether to work with this.  The main problem I have is the dark section, which seems to dominate the piece.  In the bottom image, it looks a bit like a semi abstract figure running away (bizarre, huh?). 

So, I need some way to redress the balance, and decided that a continuous line of stitch along the textured section would help to define it.  I happened to have some appropriate thread, but the question was, which stitch?  I feel quite lazy when it comes to stitch, so I decided to use one I haven't used before, split stitch.  Basically, it's a back stitch, but instead of meeting the edge of the preceding stitch, you come out within it, splitting the thread.  Here's a close up...


Reader, it's fiddly.  It's not helped by the evolon, which is not easy to hand stitch.  The best advice I can give, if you want to try it, is to keep the thread taut by catching it underneath, before bringing the needle upwards.  That makes it easier to trap the thread.  It drove me nuts....though I suspect it would have been easier, had it not been evolon....sigh... 

It may have been fiddly, but it worked.  The balance has shifted from that purple morass in the centre, out to the edge, as I hoped it would.


Now to decide what to do next. 

No comments: