meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Monday, October 01, 2018

Sod's Law Of Sewing...

...applied in a variety of ways, yesterday.  I wanted to take a photograph.  Or two.  But I knew that the batteries in the camera are flat.  I also knew that I had rechargeable batteries....but where was the charger?  Sod's law, version one, states that whatever it is you have lost, you will find it in that elusive 'safe place', which will be the last place you look.  And, by extension, you will also find something you'd forgotten you had. 

My safe place is the footstool in the living room.  Safe, because my feet are on it.  Unthought of, because my feet are indeed usually on it...sigh.  However, not only did I find the charger (just as well, or this post wouldn't be happening), I found this piece of felting from I hate to think how long ago.


Okay, it's more of a collar than a scarf, really, nuno felted on hand dyed silk organza.  It's a bit greener than it's showing here, and it needs a bit more felting, which it might or might not get.  It was wet felted, but that's out of the question now, so any additional work I do will be with the embellisher.  I want to add stitch...which brings me to Sod's Law Of Sewing, Part II.

Which is... no matter what you have, you will not have Just The Right Thing.  In my case, that's hand dyed thread in the right colours and quantities.  Here's what I found when I went hunting.


The silk threads are interesting, would be appropriate, but I don't think there's enough of them.  And there's definitely not enough of that hand dyed perle at the front.... so...that leaves the chenille.  Yes, chenille.  The most hated yarn in my personal universe.  Not only is there more than enough of it, it's absolutely the right colours, too.  Damn.

So now the question is, what to do with it...because it really is perfect...  I could hand felt it, or use the embellisher to add it...or I could couch it with the perle, as there would be enough to do that with, I think.  Except... collars and scarves are double sided, and the stitch on the reverse would not be attractive, methinks.  Mind you, I could then weave the silk thread through the stitches, to give an unbroken line...that's a thought...   No, I don't know.  Fortunately, I have other things I can be doing in the interim, while I work it out.


No comments: