meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Saturday, October 06, 2018

Autumn...

...is definitely here, seemed like the appropriate moment to add some stitch to this wet felted piece, in the shape of a leaf, yet another something or nothing saved from the cull.  In truth, I suspect that I meant it to be a petal...but who knows..it was made several years ago, can't do wet felting now. 



It was, however, always intended as a three dimensional piece.  It reminds me of autumn leaves that have turned colour, and are just beginning to dry out.  They buckle in intriguing ways.  This one has a natural curve on the edge, and slopes as if it were a very shallow bowl.  I really regret that white; I don't know what I was thinking.  So, to break up the white, and encourage the natural curves, I added stitch, as always, hand dyed cotton thread.


Happy now? Not really.. the stitch achieved what it was supposed to, perhaps too well in some places.  Might consider painting that white, using watercolour paint, to see if I can decrease the contrast.  I suspect it may be flogging a dead horse.  Not everything succeeds as planned...hell, not everything succeeds.  It's okay.  It's called learning.


No comments: