meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Tuesday, October 02, 2018

For The Want Of A Pin...

...the fabric was lost.  It's a long story.  Oh, okay then.

I thought I'd work on the new ME piece, this one:


So I trimmed it down (yes, I said I wouldn't, yes it's wonky and will need redone with the rotary cutter... sigh.  Take careful note of the long strip of rust dyed organza on the right of the image.  So far, so good.  I looked at it, and decided that, rather than using the metallic thread I had chosen, on its own, I would combine it with a plain grey thread.  And so I did.  Before I started stitching, though, I thought, I'll just pin this down.  There were three pins in my bowl, and given that I had cleaned the kitchen window sill, earlier that morning (don't ask), I didn't want to waste energy on going to get more.  So I Made Do.  Stupid woman.  Daring the first line of stitch, that strip of rust dyed organza fell off, and lay beside me on the sofa, pitifully.  Sod it, I thought, it can lie there til I'm ready.  

So, I looked at the first line of stitch, and thought...nope... In my head, it's ideal.  Sometimes, though, what you feel doesn't match up with what you know, and so it was in this case.  


For a start, it looks like a line of tacking...not the idea at all.  But also, it dominates those pale colours, which are, after all, the point of the piece.  Reader, I took it out, and replaced it with some white, that I think I must have acquired from Clare Hedges (there's a definite advantage to being friends with a weaver).  And at that point, I thought, where's that bit of organza?  Yes, you guessed it, vanished without trace.  So... I looked for it.  The list of places where it wasn't, was extensive, including the book I'd replaced in the coffee table drawer.  Not stuck to my sweater, which I'd had to remove (too warm...sodding ME...I have no control over my body temperature; usually I'm freezing, today, though, I'm too hot).  Not stuck to the throws on the sofa, or the cushions.  So I retraced my steps, back into the kitchen, via the downstairs loo.  No, and no.  I did, though, reassemble the stuff on the kitchen window sill.  So...nothing for it but to dismantle the sofa.  Back to the kitchen, to collect the hand held vacuum, to get rid of the crumbs and cat hair that had accumulated below the cushions... and a quick clean out of the litter tray..sigh.  

Reader, the damn thing has vanished.  So... I thought about replacing it with another bit of organza, but couldn't find any in the scrap box in the living room.  And given the amount of energy I'd used, I wasn't going to look in my workroom.  However, I did find a silk carrier rod... 


Which, actually, I prefer... only now it looks unbalanced against the other bit of organza...so a quick adjustment...

And that's what I'm going with.  If you look very carefully (I've enlarged the image to help a bit), you'll see stitch to the right of the silk carrier rod.  Unobtrusive, as it should be.  I think there will be less of it than I originally intended, and not just because I've now used every last bit of energy I had, and possibly some of tomorrow's, too.  A box of pins will feature on my side table in future...sigh.


No comments: