meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Just When I Thought...

I was over the distractions of yesterday, I went to visit Val's site, and lo, I was led astray by the beautiful colours of her handdyes. So today, I thought, I'll dye (note the spelling...especially important for a depressed person... or anyone who has been described as 'dyeing in the utility room', by a child, to an unknown person over the phone...). No. Today, I dyed a wee bit. I did the teeniest bit of shibori, with clamps. I mixed a lot of dyes...not as much as when I used to dye to sell, but enough to confuse me. Did a bit of scrim, in sea colours. But mostly, I just enjoyed the colours. Tomorrow will be my dyeing day, as it were. Although the way things are going this week, who knows !!

Today, however, I did some work on the piece I started yesterday, vaguely patting the photocopies of the day before on the way past. As promised, the photo above is of the piece, which now has its top layer of lutradur, with additional stitching. I intend to try adding some more couched thread around the edges of the central motif, and then we'll see.

The piece for some reason makes me think of the poet John Donne, and his wise words:

"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; ... any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee."
—from "Meditation XVII" of Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions

So, I intend to add them to the piece, or some of them.

Am I involved in mankinde? I don't go out much, don't know many people here, though that is changing as time passes. But the magic of the internet lets me talk to you about me and my work, wherever you are in the ever shrinking world. Visitors leave (much valued) comments, for which I'm grateful. And so, often without meeting, our lives brush each other gently. And for that, I am profoundly grateful.

1 comment:

Val said...

Having put out the teaser I'm now waiting avidly to see the results of your dyeing!