meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Monday, March 20, 2006

When In Doubt...


cut it out? Well, not quite. I had a piece which I really liked, a handdyed square (napkin), which I'd dyepainted blue. Then on top of that, some lutradur, half dyed red, half dyed blue, with a white gap between them. And then, I stitched. And Stitched. And it didn't work. So then, I stitched some more. And yes, it still didn't work. I even overdyed it a bit more, which is easy to do with lutradur, just a question of ironing the colour on to where you want it. And that wasn't right, either. So, finally, I cut it up; I now have a diptych. And I'm happy. Or I will be, when it is mounted and framed. The photograph shows it lying on the tiled floor in my conservatory.

Reading this over, I realise that, despite my intention to talk about something other than dyeing, given that I seem to have been obsessed with it over the last couple of days (and more images to come...), dyeing does seem to have sneaked in. Ah well, I suppose it is a reflection of the way I work. Dye first, dye last, it doesn't matter to me. I don't have a specific order in which I apply the processes I use. I just make it up as I go along, and do what seems to need to be done at the time. Like I keep saying, it's a question of trusting the process...

5 comments:

Digitalgran said...

After all that Marion I really think it is a success story. Very nice.

Shirley Goodwin said...

Go with the flow, Marion. If dyeing is what pushes your buttons at present, do it.

Anonymous said...

You're right. It really does work! Fabulous pieces! I don't always comment on every post, but I enjoy your blog and love you work.

Kim said...

Trust the process, indeed. Nice work.

Unknown said...

Lovely Marion, it works really well