meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2018

The Grunt Work

Cara is coming for a sleepover, today, so I'm not gong to get a lot done.  So, before she arrived, I decided to do a little carving on one of the lino blocks.


The one on the right is finished, more or less, ready for a trial print.  I've never particularly enjoyed carving lino, and I like it even less now that I don't have much energy.  I can carve for about twenty minutes at a time; once upon a time, I would have carved something like this in a single sitting.  So it's taking quite a long time to get these blocks ready to print, because if I do something else, like work on a book, that's the energy used up, so the blocks have to wait.  What I really need is a slave...cough...assistant...but that's not going to happen.  These will be the last carved blocks I make, I think.  Mono printing will be my method of choice in future, and I intend to try collagraphy, which has been on my to do list for years, but I've never actually done.  Must try to find a workshop, locally.  Or an online course, perhaps. 

There's a lot of grunt work in textile art...all the preparation for dyeing, for instance, scouring the cloth, mixing the dyes, rinsing (my personal favourite, not...), and finally...ironing...groan...  I think that people who don't do this stuff, don't appreciate that... I think they think we all sit around in a genteel manner, hand stitching... well, okay, sometimes we do...but sometimes we lug gallons of water around....

So...that's it for today.  We'll doubtless go out, so I might be able to get some photographs...here's hoping...


No comments: