meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Monday, June 11, 2018

Pride Cometh...

...before a fall, I know.  Amongst the goodies in Heather's bag were three long strips, two of fabric, one of paper.  Wrapping, I thought.  Definitely.  So I folded a book using Lutradur XL.  First mistake.  Yes, it folds.  No, it doesn't hold well, so it doesn't like standing up, and it's not easy to handle.  It really needs to be pressed into shape for a while before you use it, for a book anyway.  Won't be doing that again in a hurry.  And then I wrapped it.  Looks okay, I thought. 


Reasonable balance, lots of space within the structures, not sure about that first page, but otherwise...
And then I turned it over.


And discovered that the fabric was not lying flat...looked awful.  Puckered, too.  In the end, I realised that the problem was tension (in art as in life, sigh).  The strips were too long for me to keep a consistent tension on them, so what I thought was a good thing, actually wasn't.  So I had to dismantle it, leaving the blue paper strip untouched (it would have torn if I had tried to remove it, and I like it where it is, fortunately.  This is version two, where I've wrapped and cut. 



Am I happy?  Not with that bit on the left hand page, where two pieces of fabric converge, just doesn't work, need to do something about that.  I think that's always going to be a risk with wrapping, need to be careful with how I deal with the ends.  And whilst it doesn't seem to matter how long the paper strips are, fabric strips are problematic if I make them too long.  Otherwise, though, it's better.  I like this simple, graphic approach, but in this case, I think it might be too simple... watch this space...

2 comments:

Helen from Hobart said...

How about fusing the strips in place ?

artmixter said...

That would work, but I still think they'd need to be cut, first.