meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2018

A-mazing Books

I managed to finish the stitching I was talking about here, before I took my machine for a much-needed service; here it is, complete with ironed-in folds.


It clearly takes creases well; my hope is that it will also be firm enough to stand under its own steam (as it were).  I want to make a book in the same way as I made the last one.  They're called 'maze books'; I found them in Shereen LaPlanz's classic book on book binding, 'Cover To Cover'.  I've made quite a few of them before; there's a variation of a maze book in my studio, made from hand made paper which has been painted with encaustic paints.  And here is the book, cut and folded :



And yes, it stands by itself.  Phew...given that I'd made the cut, and the creases, so it was irredeemably a book, though I could have turned it into a series of very small pieces, like a jigsaw...that would have been interesting too (hold that thought). This one has been made to stand in a different way to the one you saw yesterday, a bit of variety is a good thing, and somehow, this one is more mysterious than the other, and needs this structure to reflect that.  Now, though, I have to decide what else to do with it; it has a distinctly unfinished feel to it.  I think there's a need to add words, I'm just not sure what they are, though I think they will be snipped from book or newspaper text, small in size, one to a page.  Does it need more than that?  I don't think so.  It's interesting to look at it from different angles.  I said in the earlier post that I thought it would be more interesting like this, than as a flat piece of stitch, and I think that's the case.  I think it's a landscape piece... the words will reflect that...perhaps a poem, word by word, that reveals itself as you contemplate the piece.  Now, all I have to do is find the words.

No comments: