meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2018

Look Before You Leap



I've been spending a bit of time getting ready to teach several workshops....so it came as a surprise to get an email today telling me that I was no longer required.  Apparently nobody wants to make cute little cushions, and someone else has been lined up to do the linoprinting workshop we'd been discussing, which is unprofessional, but without a contract, there's nothing I can do.  Wish I'd known that before I bought the soft cut for it.  So...that was something of a waste of time... and money...and materials... I now have three wee cushions made up as samples.  Oh well, they'll be useful for something, I suspect.  It was suggested that I rent the space, but given that I'm not welcome to do workshops for the shop, I don't think I'll bother renting the space.  My idea was to support a new local business, and meet a few new people into the bargain, not to become a workshop provider.  Yes, I'm offended.  And upset.  Won't be leaping before I look in future.

The image is pure eye candy, dyer's chamomile from my Norfolk garden.  Reminds me that I want to try growing it here, too.






7 comments:

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, the way some small businesses operate, it seems as though they don't want people to support them. Disappointing for you - and me, as I was considering taking a visit north of the border to include your workshop.

artmixter said...

Thanks, Dina x

Helen from Hobart said...

Shame. Perhaps the other person will charge less, not be as professional, fail to turn up.
You need a voodoo doll !!

Unknown said...

That is terrible Marion!

Heleen Roberts van der Meer said...

Oh bother! Very un professional indeed.
You have to wonder why people start a business like this if they then proceed to treat others like that. A shop can become a wonderful community spirited place ... their loss I'd say.
I had bad experiences with a local college and a charity of all things. Such a shame because it can benefit the whole community you live in, working with other initiatives, connecting and sharing resources etc etc.
I've put mine in the drawer of "experience" and you never know when it'll come in useful.
()

Sue Krekorian said...

Oh, good grief. You don't deserve that. Could you hire a hall and run the workshop yourself? You'd need a gofer, I guess... A local club? Embroiderers Guild?

artmixter said...

Thanks, everyone, for the kind thoughts. I think I'll stick to making the work, and hope for the best.