meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Friday, October 26, 2007

Having Fun.


Great fun! I was given some cloth by my friend Heather, and in amongst it were some fussycut cats and dogs...so hence, the quiltlet above you, Archie the Quilt Pet. Why Archie? Well, somehow he looks like an Archie...though I did toy with the idea of calling him Alf, instead. Then I realised that there's another little dog pic that does look like an Alf, so lo and behold, a series!

Am I going to make frivolous work for the rest of my life? Well, no, probably not. There's plenty of serious stuff, exploratory stuff, ready for me to make, or in the process of being made. It's just that I've spent most of my life being serious, lots of it struggling with the demon depression, and recently, that struggle has lessened significantly. Part of that is because I've been working with a really good therapist. Part of it is because I've changed the way I look at myself and my life. I used to see my life purpose as the creation of meaning. I still do, but much more so, I see my life purpose as the creation of joy. So if making Archie and his friends brings joy to me, and joy to others, then that's exactly what I'm going to do. So there!

And, if you'll forgive a bit of blatant self promotion, I've added Archie to my Etsy shop. Etsy is taking up a fair amount of time, all told. I've sold some things, which I think in the first month, is quite exciting... I'm enjoying having an outlet for all the bits and pieces that I'm doing; they mount up over time! I need the space!

Tomorrow, I go and take down my part of the exhibition at Watton (and Heather's too...lucky Heather is off to Houston...). It's a good bet that something that took a good half hour to hang will take a good two minutes to take down again! I'd like to say that was because I'd sold stuff, but it seems unlikely...sigh. And in truth, that's not the point. For me, all of this is about getting the work out, having it seen, hearing what people think about it, how they feel. That's the real reward.

7 comments:

Dianne said...

I think he looks like an Archie too - and he is a lot of fun!! I agree with making pieces that make us happy - or what a chore creating would end up being......

Nikki said...

Thank you for creating a smile. Sometimes I wonder what would happen to the whole world if we all focused on love and joy.

Julie said...

Good for you Marion. Archie is a joyful creation. I hope when you go to take your exhibition down you are rewarded with a sale. I'm hoping to track down some images from Houston as several people at Fibre Art Traders are involved. (Yahoo group)

verobirdie said...

Archie is a joyful dog, that brings smiles in our face. That is a great achievement, I think.

Hope you'll have some nice surprise tomorrow...

Anonymous said...

Just bought it for MY Archie's Xmas pressie box!

Wonder what he'll think?
See you soon

xxx
Sheila

Judy Martin said...

I know what you mean about being so darned serious. Having fun? What's that?

Dianne said...

Hey Marion, Archie is very cute.
I'm so glad you feeling better and your right have a GOOD therapist , I also had a great one and it 's the answer..
Taking life to seriously, NOT :):)
We are here to spread the love with our Creations and that is what your doing... Big hugs...
I'm glad I'm not the onlu one always losing things LOL..