meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2007

As Promised...


a picture of the discharge dyed piece I made yesterday, which I'm rather pleased with. I think I'll make some more in this style, in fact. I have Plans.

This particular piece was inspired by a visit to an exhibit in the Kettle's Yard Gallery in Cambridge. The work is by a Scottish painter, Callum Innes, one of my favourite artists. The work I had seen by him before had been blacks, greys and whites, but the first thing I saw when I entered the gallery was a huge, wonderful piece in ochre colours. The first thing I thought was, shibori, the second, discharge dyeing. But I have intentions for my piece that are quite different from the original. I rarely ever use someone else's work as a springboard for my own, but this was screeching out to be started...so I have. It'll be interesting to see what comes of it. It is already quite different from the original (sadly, I can't find the original on the web, so I can't direct you to it).

The cloth is beautiful by itself...it's a cotton sateen bought from Heide Stoll-Weber It's delightful to work with, I'm looking forward to continuing with it. It has dried somewhat lighter, but I'm still very pleased. Now to make some more brown cloth this week...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's gorgeous.

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

I covet this piece and know exactly what I would do with it....

Julie said...

I love what you've done here, it has an aboriginal feel.

Dianne said...

I love it Marion WOW very ethnic.
I thought you had rusted it at first but its beautiful..
I can't wait to see it done....
I off to check out Callum Innes

Purple Missus said...

What an amazing piece of art cloth. Like a fellow commenter, I too covet this piece and would know exactly what to do with it - hang it on my wall and just drink it in :)