meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Vanishing Act or The Mystery of the Messy Studio


Well, like I said, yesterday I worked on three pieces. And so, as I had a friend coming to visit, I brought them downstairs to show (as you do). Except... I could only find two of them. The third one has vanished. And okay, it's just a small piece, but it's disconcerting. I suspect it has gone wherever it is my scissors go whenever I need them. Now, if I had but one pair, that would be understandable. I've got about ten pairs. It's the same with tape measures. Every time someone asks me how big a piece is, I think, oh damn...where's the tape measure. Yes, I've got half a dozen or so...plus a big ruler, a metre stick and sundry other measurement devices. None of which ever turn up when I want them.

Am I cursed? Well, no. Just incredibly untidy. What this really tells me is that it's time to clear up the workroom again. I feel a bit like a teenager. But muuuuuuuum...I did it in the Christmas holidaaaaaaaaaays..... But I have worked in there since then, just a bit. Really Must Put Things Away. On the other hand, what would I have written about today if I did!

Just to prove the truth of things, the photo was taken about a week ago. It has both improved and then deteriorated, since. There are two sewing machines in this shot. Bet you can only find one...

Know what? I like it like this. Except when I can't find the piece I made yesterday....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right -- I can't find the second sewing machine. And I'm impressed at the mess. I was just complaining about my own messes, but this may just edge mine out, by a hair. June

Lynn said...

Marion, your studio is just like you: full of promise, exuberant, and abundant with riches.

Terry Grant said...

I was feeling so guilty about my horrible, scrambled mess of a studio then I saw yours. Yours is no worse than mine, but it is nice to be in good company!

jenclair said...

While I admire those who manage to put things away as they use them and keep wonderfully tidy studios, I'm comforted and reassured when I see someone who works as I do. And, uh, loses things as I do... But they always (almost always) turn up, right? Yeah, yeah, almost always!!!

Anonymous said...

My studio is just as messy - but smllaer! But you know what? I can't create in a clean area. It drives me nuts, makes me get all fearful.. I also have to scribble on the first page of every new blank art journal I buy, so it's already messy, and I can move on!

Rayna said...

Wow, Marion! Your studio looks as though it could be transplanted to my house in the pre- Ms. Closet makeover days. But I'm getting back to normal now. It has to be messy when you are working!