meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Friday, June 14, 2019

Not Worth Having?

At one level, that sums up  the hour or so I spent monoprinting, this morning.  Here's what I produced.





All on paper, which had been worked on a couple of days before, except the last one, which is on a scrap of pale green sheeting.  Three of them probably merit further work, but the other two  will be painted over, or binned. 

So, why am I telling you this?  Well, because whilst they may all end up in the bin, they were nonetheless worth doing.  I've said it before, I'll probably say it again: it's the process that matters, not the end result.  In this case, I've learned a few things.  For one, I need to be more careful about how I handle the paint on the plate, because, whilst I want to produce texture, I don't want to produce blobs.  Secondly, I really do need to either use printing inks, or remember to use retarder with the acrylics, because on warm days, the damn stuff dries far too quickly for my liking.  Finally....I'm not entirely sure I like working on paper.  That last one's a biggie.  I much prefer the process of adding paint to cloth, to then add stitch of one type or another.  Though that might be because I don't feel I have the skill level with paper, that I do with cloth.  Of course, the only way to increase my skill with paper, is to keep doing it. 

Lots of people give up at the very beginning, because they can't tolerate the feelings that learning produces in them; they're not comfortable.  Sticking in one's comfort zone is a huge temptation.  I know a lot about paint, but clearly, I don't know enough, or else I've forgotten what I knew, because I'm really not happy with these, and I don't like it.  It would be easier to give up, to be honest, to stick to what I'm fairly good at, working with cloth.  And I might consider using cloth as if it were paper, it's not unheard of, after all, though it's normally canvas that people use, and given the amount of fabric for dyeing I have, I'm not buying canvas to add to the pile. 

Lots to think about.  And that fourth one's heading for the bin.



No comments: