meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Monday, August 06, 2018

Writing It Out.

You might remember this book...I wrote about it here


I said I needed a poem, which I would write on the reverse. And lo and behold, in my sketchbook...


I know, it's not easy to read on there... here's the final text...

random
marks
embedded
in stone
lifetime's work
to grasp
that process
make those
rune-like
forms
both with
and without
meaning

That seems to express everything I intended.  The challenge, of course, is to write it on the back of the book in a reasonably regular manner.  I started by writing it again, removing a few words, just looking to see how many lines there are...fourteen, it turns out...


Next stage...measure the book itself, which, it turns out, is the length of an A4 sheet of paper.  So I folded an old letter (yup, we recycle...) to the correct width, then folded it in half, and added the words.  On reflection, should have folded it in quarters, but hey... this isn't about perfection, it's solely about distributing the words in a fairly even manner, without huge gaps...


So...it's possible.  Basically, I added the words on line seven, worked downwards, then upwards.  Looking at it, I decided that capital letters were out.  And then wrote the words again, on the book, this time.


Unfortunately a couple of stray capital letters got in there...a sign I was thinking about too much at once. I can't correct it, so it stays that way.  What happens now, is machine stitch on the other side, which will, of course. obscure the words to some extent.  I like the thought of that; it's not easy to 'read' the marks on stone, either, so it's consistent with the original inspiration.  That may not happen for some time; hospital op on Wednesday, which, while minor, may cause a flare up of the ME, which has been pretty bad recently, so I'm not planning anything.  If I get to work, it will be a bonus.  I am going to take my watercolour crayons and pencils upstairs, so that I have something to play with.  Might as well make the most of the down time, if I can.

No comments: