meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Dry Run

I said in my last post that I needed to try out the ideas I had for the book I'm currently working on.  Yesterday I went on the hunt for a bit of paper, not a difficult task in my workroom, where a whole long shelf is devoted to different types.   And I got sidetracked by this piece, torn from a sketchbook.  The image is a variation of the kind of thing I want to try out on yesterday's book, based on semi abstract landscape.  It depicts stratum on stratum of different colours, with drawings on top reminiscent of the kind of thing you see on weather maps, denoting the movement of air, or indeed on OS maps, denoting the topography of an area.  The strata are in chalk pastel, the lines in marker pen.  Sadly, as I found when I started folding, I didn't fix the pastels, so ended up with somewhat chalky hands...but I managed, nonetheless.  Must buy some fixative (probably hairspray, easier to source than formal fixative, and works well).



This is how it looks folded


I think it's quite interesting.  The reverse is, of course, blank, and I'll have some fun deciding what to do with it, again, probably a variation on the patterning that's going on on this side.  I like the way an already random(ish) pattern has become even more so here.  Food for thought, anyway.  Really must get that hairspray...


No comments: