meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Monday, September 03, 2018

Total Coincidence.

Artists get really irate when they think that art is being bought 'to match the sofa'.  Surely, they say, there must be more to it than that... and usually there is.  Every so often, however, there's a coming together of art and environment....as in our downstairs loo... yes, that's right...   Several years before we left Norfolk, I made this painting, 'Impasse'. 


I have no idea where the idea came from, but in my head, I have a whole story about what's going on, and who these people are.  I have a fondness for it, even though it's completely unlike anything I've ever painted, in many respects.  Until now, though, I've had nowhere to put it; it is a strong, vibrant piece, and it just didn't sit well anywhere in the Norfolk house.  Here, though, as you can see, the downstairs loo is grey and white.  I added red towels, to brighten it up a bit (it has no window, so relies on artificial lighting).  Bingo! Finally I had a place to put it.  It works quite well, I think. 

The texture doesn't show up in the overall image, so here's a close up.  Texture is a recurrent theme in my work, whether textile or paint. 


This is acrylic, I think...it's so long since I painted it, I don't really remember sigh... really should keep better records...

No comments: