meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Saturday, April 07, 2018

Odds And Sods.

So...despite saying I wouldn't work on this stuff, yesterday, I did, nonetheless, splitting it up into groups that looked as if they would work together.  All in all, I got roughly half a dozen different things to work on, with quite a lot left over to play with.  This is the first piece, and it has two different options.  The base is a piece of hand dyed red cotton velvet. 

The first option, as you can see, takes a small piece of brown hand dyed linen, slightly frayed round the edges, and a piece of yarn.  It looks to me like a kite, flying in a red sky, but it feels a bit clunky.  The brown is somehow too solid... I could cut a square out in the centre, which would lighten it somewhat, or put something semi transparent on top of it, probably lutradur, but even with stitch, I still think it's not quite right.

So, moving swiftly on...here's option two.

Two pieces of lutradur, over a narrow offcut of evolon.  Looking at it, my immediate feeling is that the evolon is too heavy, and needs to be narrowed down, or possibly replaced with a piece of darker yarn; come to think of it, it might be better to replace it with lutradur.  The lower piece of lutradur, though, is interesting, because it is actually two pieces, stitched together, as you can see here:

I wanted to see what happened when two semi transparent pieces were combined; this was the outcome.  My original thought was to use them for a brooch, but I think they work quite nicely here.  I think this second option is the basis of my first little piece of work from the odds and sods I showed you, though clearly the centre piece needs to be rethought.  It's not quite as white as it looks here, more of a creamy beige, but it is just a shade too heavy... no time to work on it now, though.  As well as changing that central column, I'll want to add quite a bit of hand stitch around the figure, but not on it; I'll fuse it down using bondaweb, I would think.  

More tomorrow.


No comments: