meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Chutney...


is wonderful stuff. I've just made about 10lbs of it, banana and banana and apple. One of them caught on the bottom of the pan, though, and tastes more of burnt sugar at the present time. With a kick, of course... it's quite spicy.

I was thinking that usually when you cook, you taste as you go along. With chutney, though, you can't really do that. It takes up to six months for flavours to develop. You just don't know what you're going to get. In a way, it's like making a scrap quilt over a long period of time. You may not see the overall effect for ages...and then, suddenly, it is there, as you hoped it would be. Both activities take patience, an eye for the longer term, perseverance.

The image is of an autumn leaf, printed on Bertha, my large scale epson, and then stitched into.
It seemed more appropriate than a shot of my chutney in the pan, somehow...

1 comment:

Monica said...

I wrote a post about making chutney and burning it. Mine was peach. I have 1 inch burn in the bottom of the pan and spent an hour cleaning my favorite pasta pot. we have a product called Bar tenders friend and it truly was. Chutneyis ridiculous price to buy so it is worth the effort. The grapefruits will be in soon so then it will be marmalade time.