meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Back To Work...


...and my, it feels good. No, not the HR stuff, I was made redundant in December and haven't found anything suitable yet. Back to the creative stuff, instead. I've been in bed for most of the last four weeks, if not longer, and I was beginning to think I'd never get back to making things, though I have been working on the Evolon book in snatches (it should be with the printer in the next week or so, hurrah!!!). No, I'm talking about Working With Cloth.

I ran the regular workshop on Tuesday night, and we're working with cloth for the foreseeable future. So far, we've been working with small scraps of cloth, often cloth we wouldn't give house room to, and making small art pieces. I had planned a particular path for this Tuesday, but as it turned out, the class had other ideas. And since I was clearly surplus to requirements (other than advice and guidance now and again), I wondered what I was actually going to do... So I put three pieces of hand dye together, and began to stitch. Yesterday, I went back to the Gallery, and finished the piece. Not only that, but I also finished three other small pieces that had been awaiting trimming and embellishing. So I feel I'm Back With A Bang!

The first new piece is pictured above, and is nameless, as yet. Echoes, possibly. See what you think. I'm going to have it framed, along with most if not all of my new output, this one, I think, in a box frame. I've tried and tried to be a Proper Quilter...even a Proper Art Quilter... but it doesn't seem to fit with what I am and what I do. So I give up. I'm just going to be me, the artist, and do what seems right. I'm teaching at Festival of Quilts this year, right enough, but I think nobody will mind !!

7 comments:

Amanda Sheridan said...

Hurrah! We've missed you! Glad to see you're on the mend.

Heather said...

Glad you are up and running again. I love the colours and textures of your new piece of work. Good luck with the Evelon book and the FOQ.

Cate Rose said...

Glad to see you back, Marion, and I love that new piece!

Leslie said...

Glad you are here again and working on what you love.

Sandra Wyman said...

Welcome back - love this quilt!

Unknown said...

Good to see you back. I too was made redundant in December and although I have managed to get a temp job I would rather be unemployed! - at least then I was able to do some art work - these days I work in the office from 8 - 6 with 1/2 hr lunch and I am drained when I get home! Hope we both get a good job soon - in the meantime please keep sharing such lovely work with us!! This piece is awesome!!

The WestCountryBuddha said...

Lovely to have you back and blogging Marion. I love the piece on this posting and your newer posting. I also like the idea of not fitting in and trying to do what suits you. Excellent! We should all do more of that :))