meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Hunstanton...


is inspiration all by itself. Just going to the beach and looking at these cliffs brings all sorts of ideas to mind. Is erosion the opposite of scarring? I don't know, but I'll be thinking about it over the next wee while. It seems likely that it is. Scarring is a sign of healing; erosion eats away at things until they are no more. And yet both are natural occurrences; how can what is natural be wrong?

Moira and I spent last Thursday at Hunstanton, collecting shells and shingle, stones and seaweed, all to be used in some art project or other. I think you can see from the image why it is I keep returning there...hoping for good enough weather to go back to do some painting next week. I've never done any plein air painting; hopefully this time, there won't be a large school trip. The one last Thursday discussed what it was I was doing on that rock over there, and took photographs of me for the record (so Moira tells me; I was focussed on what I was doing, so didn't look...).

I spent this morning in the shed, preparing canvasses and making a few ACEOs, just for fun. It may not be completely organised, the shed, but it's a joy to work in there. No phone, quite apart from anything else... peace, perfect peace. I had intended to do some quilting this afternoon, but instead found myself printing out this photo of Hunstanton Cliffs, only to find that my colour cartridge needs to be changed; instead of an interesting terracotta colour, it has printed out purple... not quite the same thing. Still, it's an interesting part of the cliffs, and what I want it for is to reference the shapes, rather than the colours. In some ways the purple works better for that.

4 comments:

Precious Quilts said...

Looks like the sort of place you could lose yourself within yourself, if you get my meaning! I can well understand why you love going there.

Zuda Gay Pease said...

Wow! Very cool cliffs!!! I just can't envision them purple. I hate running out of ink colors! Why don't they all go at once then you would have to replace them....I just keep printing in Magenta.

Rose said...

What a wonderful place, definitely inspiring!! I lust after your workshop :)

TracyB said...

Love visting your blog and seeing the beautiful work you've been doing!

Just to let you know that I have tagged you & it's totally voluntary to play :)

You can check out my blog for the instructions!!