So, I slept on it (not literally of course...). And when I looked at it next day, I thought... no. It's still out of balance.
The problem was three fold. Firstly, the remaining stitching was too intense. Secondly, the painted transparent cloth that I'd melted back affected the colour of the overall piece, as well as just being Too Much. And because of that colour change, the triple stripes that were at the heart of the piece were no longer the right colour. Reader, they clashed. And they were too thick, somehow, when placed against the more delicate stitching in the first section. More so in real life than in photograph. So... I continued to take stitching out from the remaining two sections of the piece. Fortunately, unlike the rest of it, these sections had been sewn with a single thread on top, making it much easier to remove. It still took most of an afternoon and evening...sigh.
That made a big difference, but not quite big enough. That colour thing was still there. So, I gritted my teeth and removed the three strips that were at the heart of the piece. That hurt. They were in the right place, but they were the wrong colour, and whilst I could have altered the colour, I really didn't want to. So I peeled them off; luckily they hadn't been ironed on too convincingly, so came off without a problem.
You can clearly see the difference in this section from the image above; much less texture, no strips, which equals no distraction from the real visual interest, the cloth itself. But it still didn't feel right. Another rotation seemed to make it better, and the addition of three lines in a different direction, made this time from wool, felted in place, made the piece acceptable.
This time, the positioning and colouring of the wool echoes and supports the colour in the cloth. It still sits securely in the 'Linescapes' series, thanks to the added wool lines. I don't think it's perfect, but early pieces in a series never are... in fact no piece ever is. If it were, we wouldn't need to make more, and a series would never be born.
I've learned a lot from this piece. Firstly, stitch is fine in its place...but its place may not be in this series. Yesterday, I cut up the rest of this cloth, and have made two further pieces, neither of which will have stitch, I think... here is one of them.