...forgotten work; this is a stitched photograph, printed out on Evolon.
This wasn't the only piece I looked at today; I worked on another version of it, this one printed on Lutradur XL; I'll show you tomorrow. It had a different feel to it altogether...and a different fate, too. I added quite a bit of stitch to it, though... but did not do so here. The stitch in the dark areas is very intense, black metallic thread with little bits of colour shot through it. It makes the background incredibly rich, somehow.
The temptation was to use stitch to emphasise the textures of the seeds in the image. It was an easy decision not to; I think the photograph shows that so well, that it's really not needed. Also, the dense stitching pulls the background down, giving the seeds a slightly puffy look, though not as much as the use of trapunto would have done. I didn't want to lose that by stitching into these areas. In this case, I firmly believe that less is more.