meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Monday, February 17, 2014

Finishing 'FInding The Mermaid'

...well, I knew that it needed something, and for preference, something that affected the whole piece.  I tried net, and lutradur, and it just wasn't working.  Finally, though, I took the bull by the horns and sprayed it with metallic Brusho.


And that, dear reader, was that.  It looks much better, integrated, somehow.  The colours are still very strong, but the lilac no longer looks quite so separate from the red and yellow.  I'm delighted that I took what felt like a Very Big Risk.


When a piece is finished, or almost finished, it can be a great temptation not to do anything further, even when you know it needs it.  I did have a test piece in similar colours (though not the same, and not stitched), which allowed me to try out the spray before attacking the piece.  That helped, but I think I would have taken the risk anyway.

Someone once said to me that you know that a piece is finished when you think, I really shouldn't have done that, it was a step too much.  And sometimes, that rule applies.  More often, though, I find that a piece will tell you when it is finished.  And this one definitely is.  Hurrah!

See what you think.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Yes, hurrah! The paint has pulled it all together. Well done for persevering to the end :)

marion barnett said...

Thanks, Julie... I hate leaving things undone.

Angela said...

Yes well done for persevering. ..it looks just right now :-)

Vicki Miller said...

Part of being an artist is being able to take risks, and this one worked out really well