or, in this case, restitching a piece. I told you here that I intended to take some of the stitching in one of my rusted pieces out, so that I could do it again; well, once I'd started, I couldn't stop. All of it, gone. This particular piece was the third that I'd made of rust dyed silk, in what I thought was a series called 'Flotsam'. The first I've already shown you, but I'm going to show it here, too, for the sake of comparison.
The second, framed in a similar way, is this one;
This was what it looked like before...
And... here is the final version (believe me, I'm not taking this lot out again!).
Much more stitch this time. The piece feels very lively, as a result. I decided that I preferred it the other way round, and as the piece of mother of pearl came off during the process, I turned it over to give a bit more contrast between it and the background. The thread is a lovely variegated hand dyed brown with hints of gold and yellow.
I work often in series. What I hadn't realised was that that can be a curse, as well as a blessing In this case, I was so busy linking this piece with what had gone before it, that I failed to look at the piece itself, and see what it needed. I've done that now, and I'm pleased with it. And oddly enough, it links very nicely with the original starting place of the series...so there is a natural, rather than a forced, connection. All in all, a useful piece of learning.