The third fabric is working quite well; it's a floral dress fabric, a light weight muslin, close to cheesecloth, and therefore difficult to work with and much lighter than the quilting cottons I'm working with. I debated the wisdom of moving from one problem fabric to another, but decided that the print was what I needed. I think it was the right decision, all told. This piece has a 'dangly bit'; I wanted to emphasise the purple verticals; the appliquéd strip combined with the large stitches does just that.
Blogging, I think, is as much about talking to oneself as it is talking to an audience. I had taken and edited this photo yesterday, in preparation for today's post. When I looked at it, though, I realised that I had put the dangling strip too high on the quilt; it looked unbalanced. So, reader, I unpicked it, and replaced it.
In this version, it is lower...but it's still not right. And it wasn't until writing this post that I realised why; it looks like a bit of washing hanging on a line.
And this is the final version. I'm still mulling about whether I should have it starting up above the section with the gold lines...but I don't want to lose the length of that vertical, so I suspect it will now stay as it is. Thank heaven for blogging...and photographs...and scissors...