meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Button Up....



I mentioned that I am starting to collect old glass buttons.  Here is a selection of the buttons I have found so far, along with a dead fly that somehow got caught in among them; didn't notice until I'd uploaded the photograph...

I did buy these with the intention of using them, but I find them so lovely that I just can't bring myself to do it.  I love the variations in shape, pattern and design.  They really are delicious!  I don't know enough about them yet to be able to tell you anything about them.. but I'm planning to do some serious learning.  I've never really collected anything before, but once the work situation has been resolved, I intend to go Buy A Book.  Meanwhile, a click on the image should enlarge it, so you can have a closer look.

ps No, I don't collect fabric.  I like fabric, I use fabric, but no matter how much I like it, it either gets used, sold, or given away.   Ditto with contemporary buttons...unless I find some interesting glass ones, of course...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your glass buttons are very nice. The important thing about buttons is their backs. The majority are moulded with incorporated shanks but the older ones and I mean 19th century here have metal shanks. A very good little book to start learning about buttons and their history and construction is by Primrose Peacock and is just called Buttons, I think. It has been a long time since I saw my copy, I think it has been lost in the move from my Shop several years ago. Amazon may have it, in fact I will have a look for myself.
I have thousands of buttons, it is one of the things I sell. Glass ones are getting difficult to find. Good luck with your collecting.

Zuda Gay Pease said...

I love old buttons!! Yours are just lovely!