meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Thursday, January 07, 2010

Returning From The Brink Of Disaster...


...or how to survive One Of Those Days. I'm definitely having one, and much of it centres round this piece, called 'Cave Drawings I'. It started as an inkjet print on Evolon, as I'm writing a section about doing just that thing at the moment. I then added some net, and some stitch, but felt it needed Something. A gel transfer, I thought. Forgetting, of course, that I hadn't actually set the ink (I use a spray). So, what happens? Ink runs in one section. No problem, I thought, just whip the gel back off again, which I did, and we'll add something to that area. I know, a print done on Bondaweb.

Problem was, the Bondaweb wasn't sticking well to the backing sheet, so I covered it with greaseproof paper and ironed it. So well, in fact, that it stuck to the greaseproof paper. No, that has never happened to me before, and to be honest, I didn't believe it. So I ran it through the printer, fusible side up. Nifty print of a fossil. Try to iron it onto the piece. It did. Trouble was, the paper didn't want to come off again. Stood for half an hour peeling it off laboriously. Some of the Bondaweb stayed on the piece, some of it didn't. In the meantime, I'd forgotten where exactly the original problem area was. Ahem. And I left a few pieces of the paper on the cloth, as they looked interesting.

Meanwhile, ran two other pieces of Bondaweb through the printer. One was successful; the other was eaten by the printer, and disgorged itself slowly in shreds. That kind of a day? Oh, yes. Still, I'm quite pleased by the work. Wait til you see the next one in the series...if I get that far...

4 comments:

marianne said...

love the depth & texture & can't wait to see more..... it's always nice when those annoying setbacks end up working isn't it?

Heather said...

I'm sorry you've had so many problems but have to say I find it comforting that they can happen to you too! I think it's looking good inspite of everything.

Robin said...

In spite of all the issues, it looks very cool. It may just be the photography but it looks like very heavily textured tree bark ...a pine tree maybe.

Purple Missus said...

This 'cave drawing' series is going to be fantastic Marion and I love your story of this and that not going quite right and yet you still managed to end up with a wonderful piece. I was beginning to think that I was the only one this sort of thing happenend to (the everything going wrong bit, not the great end result *LOL*)