meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Spot of Touristy Wandering...


with my niece, who is staying with us, and Robin, took us to Cambridge yesterday, where I found someone selling interesting textiles, including this piece. The lace is gorgeous, the cloth, a light silk, which is faded almost beyond recognition. I was attracted, not to the lace, but to the cloth, the remains of the images, clearly figures. I wonder what the context was; my first thought was religious, but I have no real idea why. Looking at it now, it appears more domestic in nature. I'm not sure what I'll do with it...probably not keep it as it is (unless one of you clever conservationists tells me that I ought to). I saw the panels appliqued onto rough antique linen (of which I have some...surprise...) and worked into with stitch. We'll see.

My niece is here til next Monday, so blogs may be intermittent. Work won't be, though. I have a gallery appointment tomorrow, and other stuff needs to be done, including work on the book, Lovely Lutradur, so that we can get it ready to issue on CD at its launch date of 1 August, just in time for Festival of Quilts. I'll have copies there on Saturday and Sunday, working on the Spunart stand, demonstrating the use of lutradur. I'll have some ACEOs and small pieces of work for sale, too; do come and say hello and ask me questions! I love talking about lutradur!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful!

Unknown said...

wow - never a dull moment, huh? that fabric is realy lovely -- don't you wish it cold talk to you?

jstinson said...

I enjoyed your blog. It will be interesting to see what you do with the piece!

Rosebud Collection said...

Is that beautiful..Glad you are having a good time with your niece..Love it when family visits..

Rose said...

What a great find! Wish I could be there for the info on Lutradur as I have a whole lot of it right now :)

Julie said...

I'll be at the FOQ on the Saturday so we can finally meet irl! yay! Going back to look at your beautiful find now!