meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Unexpected Benefits



...or rather, things I hadn't thought about. I've never had a large enough space to work in so that I could actually see what was going on in a big canvas as I painted it, or even when it was finished. And now I have, hurrah! I painted in the shudio for the first time yesterday afternoon, working on a large (44" by 56") canvas, and the difference being able to step back from it made was enormous. I could see all sorts of things that I wouldn't otherwise have been able to see.

No photos of that, today...it's still in progress, and I'm not entirely sure where it's going, though I have my suspicions. Instead, a photo of the other textile piece I finished yesterday, made from Evolon, with fibers and another of Mike's beautiful beads on it. Titled Fissures I, it, like 'Cracking Up', takes its inspiration from the cliffs at Hunstanton. I'm planning a trip there soon, hoping to find some small fossils as well as take more photographs; it's not far from here. I might go visit the lavender fields, too, though it's a bit early. But I could buy myself some dried roses, or a rose/lavender mix; I love the scent of both plants.

2 comments:

Precious Quilts said...

A very nice piece! Mike's bead suits so well.

Lavender fields - the perfume - the wonder of that fills the imagination - how lovely!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations of the larger work! It is a brave step forward. I know because I took it this year myself.
Now the 24 x 30 inch canvases that I once thought of a large are my among my smaller works.
It took a while for me to become brave enough to go large as I use tiny symbols (letters) for every strokes, and then interweave and glaze over them with many layers of painted symbols, which follows the theory of Post Conceptual UnGraven Image Art.
Wishing you all the best with the larger works and looking forward to
seeing one posted -- Judy Rey