meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Friday, March 03, 2006

Waxing Textile



I used to try to keep my art in boxes. This is the textile box, this the paint box, this the sculpture box... But life isn't like that, and neither is art. So these two pieces have borrowed some texiles and some associated techniques. The one above has a piece of fine net with sparkles in it, embedded in the wax. It seemed to want to be moon-like, so I didn't argue.

The image below has some gold net in it. I deliberately chose a net that would melt, so that it seems to both sit on top of the wax and have melted into it. It seemed appropriate for a wax piece to have some melted cloth.

That said, I don't allow technique to dictate anything about the piece. For me, technique is subservient to meaning, not its master.

2 comments:

Shirley Goodwin said...

I like the moon piece, Marion, lovely colouring.

jenclair said...

Yes, the moon is all watery in feel, very feminine -completely appropropriate!