meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Sunday, March 12, 2006

The Profits Of Idleness


are not always what you would expect them to be. This picture here, for instance, is an example of the kind of thing that happens when you forget to clean up after a dye session. Well, okay, perhaps forget is too euphemistic...just plain ignore the cleaning up, is closer to the truth! It doesn't happen every time (guess how I know!), but just this once, I looked in the bottom of the bucket, and here was this beautiful pattern. I have taken photographs like this before, of ice on the windscreen...but this is like coloured ice. The textures are fascinating, and I'm hoping to use the photo as the basis of some photoshop work. I want to work with some of the details, perhaps to make printing blocks, something to work with on a long term basis.

The downside to this idleness, of course, is that you do have to clean up before you can dye again... and now that that is done, I'm going to dye tomorrow, some browns, I think, and perhaps some orange. And do some gocco printing, though that may be done later in the week.

7 comments:

johncheeran said...

hi,
you have a wonderful blog...
it is great to read an artist's thoughts..
you are welcome to check out my blog at www.johncheeran.blogspot.com
regards

Zaz said...

ooooh I love your creative chaos - great art and I enjoyed reading your blog!

Sara

Claudia said...

OOH Marion! We have got to get that out of the bucket, and onto some fabric. My mind is racing. I wonder if you took some slightly damp fabric, and pushed it flat into the bottom of the bucket, and then sprayed it with water, enough to wet the dye, and then I wonder if the dye would copy in a pleasing way onto the fabric.
Hmm something to play with........
:) Thanks for the inspiration

artmixter said...

Too late, claudia, t'is gone. But I do have three lovely images on the computer to play with, so all should be well.
Thank you all for the kind words.

Anonymous said...

Ths is a GORGEOUS image! Hmmm, I wonder if you could replicate it on fabric by leaving fabric scrunched like that? But then again, part of the attraction for me of dyeing fabric ist hat I can't ever get the same piece twice...

artmixter said...

Me too, Caitlin! I'm dyeing today, and can't wait for the washing machine to finish its cycle so I can see what I got!

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

That is wonderful Marion, what a good eye you have for interesting images.