meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Counting The Hours.


Today, I took the thickened dye I made at the beginning of the week, and, following the guidelines for one of the techniques in 'Breakdown Printing', by the Committed to Cloth team, Claire Benn and Leslie Morgan, I printed with a screen on some plain cotton cloth. I also printed with a single block, a ceramic tile which is itself divided into a grid of small squares, aiming to vary the mark each time I used it, mainly working on previously dyed cloth. And then, just for a bit of variation, I did some discharge printing and painting. And given that I always make too much thickened dye, I've got some to play with tomorrow.

Pictures? Well, I'd love to. Problem is, this stuff has to batch for 24hrs. Yes, it could be less. It might only make it to tomorrow morning before being rinsed out. I have no self control when it comes to dyed fabric. I've always been the kind of person who desperately wants to have the cloth out of the dyebath, almost before it went in there! Still...it was a day well spent. And I have the pink fingers to prove it! I always seem to forget about gloves when dye painting.

It's cold and dreich here today, after a couple of beautiful, sunny, warm days that made me hopeful of better weather. But not as cold as the day when I took this photograph of frost on my windscreen, back in Strathpeffer.

7 comments:

Shirley Goodwin said...

Is that FROST? I was wondering how you got the effect, and the gorgeous colour......

Sarah Ann Smith said...

Dang...I was hoping that was cloth made using the process you described, too! Now....how can we DO that?

Cheers, Sarah

jenclair said...

How beautiful the frost is! Nature always trumps any ideas we may have.

Eagerly awaiting the dyed fabric.

Val said...

Rats! And there I was thinking that was a marvellous piece of dyed fabric! Must work on it! Have had a brilliant idea. Thank you!

Digitalgran said...

I am really enjoying this thread Marion, you are an inspiration, thanks.

Rayna said...

Huh? That's your windshield? Blue frost? I thought it was fabric - amazingly quilted.

Anonymous said...

For those of you who read the comments:
I rang Marion the second I saw this photo, I HAD to call in all friendship deals to get hold of it. It HAD to be mine. Alas it's a photo of her windscreen, we don't get windscreens like that down here in England (grin).
Nonetheless, I'm going to make a quilt from it. I knew the instant I saw it how I will work it.
Thank you Marion.