meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Walking The Talk


A few posts ago, I was on my soapbox about how difficult the interface can be between art quilters and the more traditional among us. I get quite aerated on the topic...after all, how can new art quilters learn, if all the groups they can join tend towards the traditional, and ask questions about the validity of art quilts? I do run an online art quilt group, Alternativequiltlist, but sometimes it's a good thing to meet people, and quilts, in real time, rather than virtually. So, I thought, time to walk the talk, as they say in business circles (or they do, round here, anyway). So I'm going to start an art textile association in my area (East Anglia), and have put out some feelers on the web and elsewhere to see if anyone is interested.

Personally, I don't really do groups...but sometimes you have to do the stuff you don't usually do, to step out of your comfort zone, in order to learn and grow. So, I've started. Wish me luck.
At the least, it will put textile artists in touch with one another, more aware of each others work... but it might also produce critique groups, workshops, discussions, any kind of learning. And that has to be good for us all.

11 comments:

smarcoux said...

Hi Marion

Do tell me more about the textile association please ... sounds very interesting to me.

Sandy

Anonymous said...

MUCH good luck - and goodonya for starting a group! I'm not much of a people-in-groups person either, but the best thing about going to art school is bouncing ideas of other like minded peoples and seeng stuff In Real Life. It DOES help all involved, I reckon.

Olga Norris said...

Good luck. Like you I am not a joiner, but if you find the right people it can be invaluable.

Debra said...

Congratulations Marion. Hope you have responses and a nice little group is born.

artmixter said...

Sandy asked for more info...I'm glad, Sandy, you'd be very welcome in any group of mine. At the moment, though, I can't tell you much. I think that there are lots of fabric type people in the area who vary from being vaguely interested in art textiles, to making art textiles on a professional basis. I'd like to get all of those people who are interested in an association into the same room, and find out what they want from an association. I know I'd like a critique group, and to run the odd workshop, for instance...but I might be alone in that (I doubt it, but you never know...). So, until people respond, and we get them into the room, I can't really say. What I will say, though, is that doing things this way (it's called Open Space Technology), is the only way I know to make sure that everybody gets as much of what they want as is possible. Hope that makes sense?

Shirley Goodwin said...

Good idea, Marion, we all tend to work so much in isolation, and have no voice. Let us know how you get on, and what you do to get the group going.

Shirley in New Zealand

Terri said...

I started a similar group a few years ago here in my local area. I've since moved on to other things and in other directions, but the group continues to thrive. I think there should be more of them out there. A serious alternative. Good for you.

Dianne said...

Hello Marion
Well thanks so much for linking my blog site, that was very nice of you....
You had me howl, I'm still chuckling. cause I'm always lose things too, thanks for my laugh for the day. Good luck with your group..
I'll be watching your blog:):)
Hope to meet you when I visit I'll be in the air in a week from today...

Deb Lacativa said...

From experience...form your group by invitation rather than word of mouth.
I wanted an artquilt group but got too many folks with more varied interests (like dolls and jewelry) and the group was derailed in short order. Lack of leadership skills on my part to blame as well.

Rayna said...

Great idea! A group that will give you what you need. Well,maybe. There are bound to be changes over time: my first group - 9 years ago - ws 20 people, many of whom dropped out after a few times...and it morphed, shrunk, blew up and self-destructed, and from the two of us who were left, has grown again to 6 people who are all on the same wavelength. It can be a roller coaster but worth it!
East Anglia? Why didn't I know this 2 years ago when we were in Peckinham visiting my husband's long-lost cousin for the first time? What a charming part of the world!

artmixter said...

Rayna, if you're ever in the area again, or thereabouts, you're welcome to come and play... it is truly beautiful, here.